David Dwyer and Helen Sheehan

Early Years

David Dee Dwyer was born on August 25, 1854, in Chateaugay, New York. He was the last child of John Dwyer and Johanna Dee. [1]

Being the youngest, David watched a number of changes in the family: his oldest brother Edward moved to Iowa in 1863, his father died in 1865, his brother John moved west soon after, and his brother James married and moved to a farm nearby. Little is known about David’s early life but he must have had to assume an adult’s responsibilities on the farm at an early age.

In the 1880s, David traveled to Leadville, Colorado to work. After saving $1,000, he returned home and his first order of business was to find a wife. One night he went to a dance and asked Jim Sheehan who the girl in the pink dress was. “That’s my sister,” said Jim. Her name was Helen (though she was often called Ellen or Nellie) and lived in nearby Ellenburg with her family; she had been born on June 8, 1858, to Jeremiah Sheehan and Julia Breen.

David courted Helen by taking her out for buggy rides. After a few rides, he proposed marriage in a rather matter-of-fact way: “Well, I want a wife and you can say yes or no right now.” She apparently said yes as they were married on January 9, 1883, in St. Patrick’s church. The witnesses to the marriage were Edward Nolan and Helen McCarthy.

Helen and David initially moved in with her family while deciding where to establish themselves. They fought over whether District #7 (where she resided) or District #5 (where he lived) was best for their farm. To keep the peace, she agreed with whatever he decided.

David and Helen soon had a family, three daughters and two sons:

     - Helen (“Ellen” or “Nellie”), born October 13, 1883; [2]

     - John Edward (“Jack”), born March 14, 1885; [3]

     - James S., born March 7, 1887; [4]

     - Alice (“Ada”), born July 10, 1890; [5] and

     - Katherine (“Kate”), born October 12, 1894 (actually the 13th, as explained later). [6]

All were born in Chateaugay and baptized in St. Patrick’s church.

On July 20, 1888, Helen published the following notice in the local newspaper, the Chateaugay Record: “Feeling profoundly grateful to many friends for kindness shown and assistance given during my recent affliction I wish thus publicly to tender to each and all my sincere thanks.” It is not clear what was the matter with her but it is possible that she had lost a child: Helen reportedly inherited her mother’s difficulties with childbirth; she almost died after her first child was born and one child (a boy) had to be beheaded in order to save her life.

David Dwyer's Family - about 1911

Back: Katherine, James, Helen Sheehan Dwyer
Front: Nellie, John, Alice
Chateaugay, NY. Helen may be wearing black because this may have been taken shortly after her husband David D. Dwyer died (March 31, 1910).

Dwyer Family - about 1915

David Dwyer (John's son), John Dwyer, Nellie Toohill Dwyer (obscured behind), Francis Dwyer (John's son), Nellie Dwyer, James Dwyer, Helen Dwyer, Alice Dwyer Fahey, Katherine Dwyer. This picture was probably taken by Prim Cronin.

Eventually, David and Helen bought a small farm and raised potatoes. They worked hard and were able to pay off their first mortgage in a few years. This farm may have been the “Michael Ryan (Cooper) farm,” which the newspaper reported that David purchased in October 1893 for $2100. [7]

They then purchased a larger farm in January 1895: the newspaper said that this was “the Douglas Place,” consisting of about 250 acres and purchased from M. E. House for $12,000 by assuming a mortgage of around $11,000 and by borrowing $1,000 from his mother Johanna for the down payment.

He took possession of the property on April 1st. [8] [9] According to family stories, his mother “reminded him every day of his life” about that loan, even though he paid her back quickly.

David was active in the community. As early as 1879, he served as an Inspector of Elections [10] and he served on juries at various times. [11] Though he participated in politics, as a Republican he was usually on the losing end of elections, which were dominated by the Democratic party. In March 1891, he ran as a Republican for Commissioner of Highways but was defeated by 69 votes in a Democratic sweep of the town meeting. [12] In March 1894, he ran for town supervisor but, as the Franklin Gazette commented, the Democrat “was re-elected supervisor over David D. Dwyer, Republican, by the usual majority ....” [13]

Kate and Nellie Dwyer - 1914

Kate and Nellie Dwyer - 1914

David seems to have maintained contact with his far-flung family: James and Julia lived nearby; they were godparents to David’s son James and they probably visited from time to time. For three weeks at the end of August and early September 1896, David’s brother John came for a visit from Ft. Dodge, Iowa, going first to James' home and then to David’s. [14]

David was described as stern man but adoring of his wife and family. His wife Helen was described as having a very sweet personality. David once remarked that he never understood how his oldest daughter could sit quietly and smile and listen to his advice, and then go ahead and do whatever she felt was right on her own.


The following are some stories about life in this family, in the early years:

Good Butter. All the local farmers had milk cows to supplement their income and, in the spring, an inspector would come to test the containers of butter stored in the cellar of the house. Once, David’s mother, Johanna, who was living with the family, went downstairs and told Helen that the butter tubs were stinking. Afraid that the butter had gone bad, they were nervous when the inspector came but — after boring into the butter with an augur and tasting the sample — the inspector reported that it was the best butter and would fetch a good price. Helen, who was a devout Catholic, said rosaries and prayers of thanksgiving for weeks afterwards.

Inappropriate Proposition. The Irish people were regarded as white trash by settlers who had arrived earlier. One such family lived across the road, consisting of a man, his wife, a young daughter, and the man’s brother. One day when David was not at home, the brother came to the door and offered Helen $5.00 to sleep with him. She flung at hime with a tea kettle of boiling water and he went flying out the door. She never told David about this event, worried that he would have beaten the man up.

Jack and Jim’s Adventures #1. Jack and Jim were cute little boys and were anxious to cross the roads, but Helen forbade it. They would sneak downstairs at times and she would go after them. She seldom laid a hand on them but they learned. Another time, at the age of about 6, Jack decided he was being mistreated when he wasn’t allowed to do something. He went upstairs and packed a satchel then left the house and walked along the railroad tracks to run away from home. Helen ran to get David from the barn and they crouched behind bushes, watching their son trod off. Helen cried but David said, “Nell, both mail train and milk train have passed by and he is not in danger. I promise you if he walks a mile I will hitch up a horse and go get him.” After about a half-mile the boy began to look back but no one was coming for him. Finally he turned around and slowly came home. By that time, Helen was fixing supper and David was at the table reading the paper. Jack told his father he was going to stay for supper and his father agreed that would be a good idea as it was getting dark.

Jack and Jim’s Adventures #2. One day, Jack and Jim went up to the storeroom in their house to play. They hid behind storm windows and, in a scuffle, they tipped over every one of the windows and broke them all. A few months later, on a mild day in October, David decided to take a few of his hired men from the barn and fields to wash and install the windows for the winter. He came down from the storeroom and said, in a very mild voice, “Why in hell didn’t they tell me?” He had to pick up the mess, remove all the putty and glass from about 30 windows, measure each pane, and hitch up the horses to purchase new panes from the store. David could become very irritated at small upsets but was calm in calamities.

Kate’s Birthday. Nellie had been born on October 13, 1883 and she turned 11 years old on the day that Kate was born, October 13, 1894 — and cried for days over Kate’s having stolen her birthday. A few weeks later when they took Kate to be baptized at the church, the priest asked the date of the child’s birth. Helen was stunned when David said, “The 12th of October.” Afterwards, he said, “Ellen, I will not stand for Nell crying her eyes out over her 13th birth date.” (Years later, Kate came to help Nellie when she was ill and told Nellie’s daughter Margaret that Nellie’s mind was slipping. “She tells me we were born on the same day 11 years apart.” Margaret laughed and said it was true, a family secret! Kate was amazed. “I can’t believe it — My sister did that to me! All my diplomas and marriage certificate have the wrong date of birth!”)

Hair Ribbons. The family’s smaller farm was located near “Half Way Store,” so called because it was an even distance between Chateaugay and Chateaugay Lake. The children were allowed to walk from their home to the store for groceries and to charge them to their father’s account. They could also buy candy but were not allowed to charge it — for candy, they had to have a penny. Every year the grocer sent David a full length bill so that he could pay off the charges. One year, as David and Helen reviewed the charges and compared notes, every so often the words “hair ribbon” were read out loud. Nellie was embarassed because she knew that her parents were working hard to pay for the small farm, harvesting potatoes and milking cows to make ends meet. No one said a word to her about the hair ribbons but she learned her lesson.

Teasing Alice and Kate. Alice (Ada) had a temper and, when she got mad, she would stomp up the stairs and clean all the bedrooms. Jack and Jim loved to tease her and, when Helen asked them why they did that, they said she should be grateful as she wouldn’t have to clean upstairs for a week! Alice would roll the beds around and clean under them, making as much noise as possible. Jack and Jim also teased Kate by calling her “Pointer” — as she was a slender teenager — when introducing her to their friends. Helen and Alice and Nellie had to soothe her hurt feelings when they did this.

Religious Instruction. When summer came all the local Catholic girls and boys went to “catechism” at St. Patrick’s Church in Chateaugay. They had to walk about 5 or 6 miles along dusty roads and across fields to reach the church, and everyone walked barefoot as shoes were expensive. The shoes were tied around their necks with their shoelaces. As soon as they arrived at Boardman’s Brook above Chateaugay, they would wash their feet and hands and put on their socks and shoes. As a result, very neat children arrived at St. Patrick’s Church. When the children got out of catechism, they would walk to Boardman’s Brook, remove their shoes and socks, and find their way home again. The priest would take attendance and later notify parents about any children who were not present — and a much wiser child would show up the following week.

Alice Dwyer - 1913

Alice Dwyer - 1913

Bee Problems. On the family’s larger farm, they kept beehives in the orchard. One day, Helen decided that she wanted some honey from the hives. Having watched David tend the hives, she decided to try it, putting on a hat with a veil, covering her hands with thick gloves, and wearing a long-sleeved jacket. Jack and Jim, then teenagers, were walking in a meadow near the orchard and saw their mother running out of the orchard stripping off her petticoat, corset, and underwear, arriving at the house completely naked wih a trail of angry bees following behind. The boys debated about picking up the discarded clothes but thought better of it, as it would have required a tricky explanation to their father.

David's Mother, Johanna Dee Dwyer

During the late 1890s, David’s mother Johanna lived with the family. She was in her 80s and had a bedroom downstairs; she had broken her hip, which didn’t heal correctly, so it was hard for her to move. She was reportedly quite difficult to get along with, perhaps because of her injury, and she and her son were barely on speaking terms at the table. One day Helen was baking bread and Johanna came into the room and began to complain about a neighbor: she told Helen that she didn’t want her grandchildren playing with “French Canadian trash” down the road. At that moment, Helen was taking the bread out of the tins. Overcome with frustration, she threw one of the loaves at her mother-in-law. It missed and banged against the door.

Finally, the situation with Johanna became so intolerable that David wrote to his sister Bridget (Bid) in Vermont to see if she would take their mother in. She responded that she would be glad to do so, so they drove to Vermont — a long, slow journey to Bid’s nice farmhouse. Bid told David that he just didn’t understand his mother. However, within two months he received a letter from his sister asking him to come and retrieve their mother: her marriage was on the point of collapse if the difficult woman didn’t leave. David then cast about for a home for his mother and asked Helen’s sister if she would like a boarder — and David would pay for room and board. She agreed and, by 1900, Johanna was living with Mary Sheehan and her husband Michael Spellman on their farm at 37 East Main Street in Chateaugay.

Helen never told anyone in town that David and his mother were barely on speaking terms — and the townsfolk unfairly blamed Helen that Johanna had to live as a boarder in the Spellman’s home. Helen also felt guilty for having thrown a loaf of bread at her mother-in-law. David and Helen went often to visit Johanna.

Into the Twentieth Century

In 1900, James turned 13 and in August he became “quite ill with appendicitis.” [15] In the week of August 31, he was operated on by Dr. Madill of Ogdensburg, who was “in town Friday and assisted by Dr. Harrigan.” [16] All was well and he returned to health.

As the century turned, David’s children began to establish themselves:

- The oldest daughter, Nellie, was the adventurous one. She was the first to leave home, graduating from Chateaugay High School in 1901 and then going off in September to teacher’s college at Plattsburgh Normal School. The newspaper reported that “Miss Nellie carries with her the best wishes for the future of many East Side friends.” [17]

- Jack and James were stolid farm boys, working with their father. However, Jack was a wanderer and after a few years headed west.

- James was the stay-at-home who seemed destined to remain a Chateaugay farmer -- until he was lured away by a New York City girl.

- Alice was the romantic — the first one married (although the marriage seems to have foundered).

- Katherine was the modern woman — applying the latest nutritional principles to help the victims of the 1918 flu outbreak.

In 1901, David traveled to Barnum, Iowa, to visit his brother John. During the same trip he journeyed to South Dakota, Minnesota and other western states, returning home to Chateaugay on September 13.

The following year, in 1902, David’s mother Johanna fell ill. Helen helped to nurse her but, on April 30th, she died. She was buried on May 2. Both the parish records and the newspaper list her age as 93 years. [18] However, if she had been born in 1814, as the Census reported, she would have been 88.

In 1903 or 1904, James left high school after his second year to devote himself full time to farming.

In 1905, New York State conducted a census and visited the Dwyer family on June 1st. At that time, the family consisted of David (51), Helen (45), Jack (20), James (18), Alice (14) and Katherine (10). Nellie was living away from home; after graduating from college, she began teaching in the Cherubusco village school in August. [19]

In August 1906, David, Helen and their daughter Alice, together with Joseph Cavanaugh, visited Montreal. At the same time, Nellie was at a summer camp at Buckhorn Point, on Upper Chateaugay Lake, [20] probably working at a summer job.

In 1907, David finally found a path to success in elected office: he was nominated on a “union ticket” jointly by Democrats and Republicans for justice of the peace. [21] He apparently won this race as it appears that he served in this role for three more years. In August 1907, David went “for an extended trip through the Western country.” [22]

In June 1909, David’s son Jack, who had been working on the farm, moved to Leadville, Colorado. He accompanied relatives Thomas and John O’Neil. [23] (David’s sister-in-law in Iowa was Maria O’Neill.)

Kate Dwyer - about 1913

Kate Dwyer - about 1913

On September 7, 1909, the first of David and Helen’s children was married: Alice married James E. Fahey at St. Patrick’s Church. The following announcement of the wedding appeared in the Chateaugay Record on September 10th:

The family came together for this event; Nellie returned home from Brooklyn for a few days. James participated in the ceremony both as best man and as a witness.

Later that year, in December 1909, a wind storm blew about 30 feet off the roof of a large barn belonging to the Dwyer farm. [24]

By early 1910, David was 55 and playing a leading role in the community. In January he was appointed to a committee to visit some nearby towns and inspect public buildings in order to plan for a new town hall for Chateaugay. He and several others went to Saranac Lake, Massena, Norwood, Ogdensburg and Watertown. [25] In February, he was appointed to a committee to investigate the condition of the County Line Road at the railroad bridge and report to the town board. [26] He was also, at the time, a member of the town board and justice of the peace.

In March 1910, however, David fell ill. The newspaper report of March 25 was ominous: “David D. Dwyer, our well-known townsman and member of the town board, is seriously ill, and grave fears are expressed for his recovery.” His son Jack returned home on March 24 from Colorado, and his daughter Nellie returned on the 19th from Brooklyn. According to the family history, he had “Bright’s Disease” or nephritis.

David died on March 31st. He was buried on April 2nd in St. Patrick’s cemetery. [27] A nearby newspaper reported that “David D. Dwyer, one of the best-known and most respected citizens of Chateaugay, died at his home in that town last week.  His death is mourned by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.” [28] On April 9, the Chateaugay Grange adopted the following resolution:

Resolutions of Respect.

Again the drapery of mourning in our Grange reminds us that another member, David D. Dwyer, has passed into the Great Beyond. 

We are sad because one of our workers has gone, and also one whom we could feel was a personal friend to each one of us; but who will greet us no more in the daily walks of life.

Human sympathy is of little comfort at such times, but all our hearts can give is given to the loved ones left behind. May God’s blessing and comfort descend upon the devoted wife and loving sons and daughters.

At the regular meeting of the Chateaugay Grange, April eighth, nineteen hundred ten, it was

Resolved. That resolutions of respect be drafted and spread upon the minutes of the Grange; also that a copy thereof be sent to the relatives of the deceased.

On April 16, the Chateaugay building committee continued its business by substituting someone else “in the place of D. D. Dwyer, deceased.” [29] On April 30, Nellie returned to work in Brooklyn. [30]

Helen and Nellie were executors of David’s estate and a notice to creditors, dated May 16, 1910, was published in successive editions of the newspaper, requiring anyone with claims against David to document them by November 26th. [31]

James seems to have taken over his father’s role on the farm. Nellie continued to teach school in Brooklyn, returning to her family home regularly at Christmas and in the summers. [32] Katherine was 16 and still at home.

Later in 1910, Alice lost a baby girl (named Helen). She had apparently inherited her mother’s and grandmother’s difficulties with childbirth and was in bed for two weeks while her mother nursed her back to health.

Jack, who had returned from Colorado when his father was dying, never went back. On January 10, 1912, he married Nellie Toohill (his brother James was a witness). On June 10, 1913, they had a son, whom they named David D. Dwyer. James was godfather to the young David. A second son was born to Jack and Nellie, Francis John, on June 2, 1915.

In August 1915, Alice moved with her husband to New Haven, Connecticut. [33]

Dwyer Family with Loobys - 1914

L-R: Anna Looby, Helen Looby (child), Jack Dwyer, David Dwyer (baby), Jack's wife Nellie, Helen Dwyer, Prim Cronin

In September 1915, when Nellie returned to work in Brooklyn, Katherine went with her to enter Pratt Institute, taking up a course in “domestic science.” [34] Katherine came home for the summer in 1916 [35] and then graduated in July 1917. At that time, the college was engaged in a variety of efforts to support U.S. soldiers in World War I, including making clothing, toilet articles, and blankets.

As the war drew to a close in 1918, Helen bought $50 of Liberty Loan Bonds, [36] and the “Spanish flu” — which was a worldwide epidemic — came to Chateaugay. Katherine, who had returned home, assisted with an emergency hospital to treat flu victims in the Masonic Temple on Depot Street. [37] She was the dietician responsible for cooking all of the food for patients. [38]

Also in 1918, Nellie became engaged to Bernard Looby, a young man from Chateaugay. Her story continues in the chapter on Jim Dwyer and Prim Cronin.

Later Years

In 1920 Katherine was working as a dietician at a hospital in Phillipsburg, PA. She spent some time with her mother in October. [39]

In 1924, Alice (Fahey) and Katherine (who was not married at that time) purchased the Tavernier residence on Church Street and planned to occupy it with their mother. In July, Helen moved in. [40]

It is not clear what had happened to Alice’s husband but they were apparently no longer living together at this time. When James Fahey died in 1961, the obituary said nothing about Alice. [41] Presumably, being Catholic, divorce was not an option, so perhaps their marriage had been annulled. Alice worked for many years as a telephone operator in Chateaugay and, after December 1938, in Malone.

Helen’s mother Julia spent her last days at the home of her son, Matthew, and died on March 27, 1925, at the age of 102. [42] She passed on her extraordinary longevity to her daughter. At that time, Helen was 66 and just edging past “young” -- she would live for another 38 years.

In 1926, Helen rented out a flat over Humiston’s restaurant in Chateaugay; [43] we do not know how she became the landlord for this place. In 1927, James’ farm was again for rent and Alice was in charge of the rental process.

Sometime in the later 1920s or early 1930s, Katherine married Daniel Peter Powers. Daniel was a local boy, born in Chateaugay on December 27, 1893. He had graduated from the University of Vermont and had been a sergeant in World War I. Katherine was his second wife, his first wife (Dorothy) having died in 1923. They had a son, Edward, in 1933. By 1940, when Daniel was 46 and Katherine 45, they were renting a house on Main Street and conducting a restaurant business in Chateaugay -- this was probably Powers Restaurant, located next to the Grand Union on East Main Street. Katherine did the cooking (recalling her training at Pratt Institute). Daniel also worked in insurance and was a cashier in the First National Bank of Chateaugay. [44]

In 1947, Uncle Jack’s wife died. [45]

In 1950, Helen and her daughter Alice moved to Syracuse to live with Katherine and Dan Powers. [46]

In June 1953, Bernard Looby died. James and Prim attended the funeral, as did Alice, Katherine, and Uncle Jack. [47]

A month later, in July 1953, Daniel Powers died in Syracuse. He had suffered from a heart condition for the past 5 years. His body was brought back to Chateaugay to the home of Katherine’s cousin, Joseph Rovelle, and then buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery. [48] Katherine later returned to Syracuse.

In 1954 Nellie Looby and her daughter Margaret were living at 72 Broad Street in Plattsburgh, [49] with Anna Looby and her son Thomas (apparently a cousin of Bernard).

In 1956, Uncle Jack died.

Although her children and their spouses had relatively normal life spans, Helen lived on. In 1958, she celebrated her 100th birthday, which was written up in the local newspaper.

On April 29, 1963, less than two months before her 105th birthday, Helen Dwyer died. She had been living with her daughter Alice on Depot Street.

Guests at the funeral included:

     - Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Sheehan of Saranac Lake. Mr. Sheehan was Helen’s nephew.

     - Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Gargan of White Plains. Mrs. Gargan was Helen’s niece.

     - Mr. and Mrs. William Powers of Syracuse. Mr. Powers was Helen’s grandson (Daniel and Katherine’s son).

     - David Dwyer of Waddington. Mr. Dwyer was Helen’s grandson (Uncle Jack’s son).

Helen’s children published a note: “We wish to thank all those who were so kind and helpful during the death and funeral of our beloved mother, Mrs. Nellie Dwyer. Their gifts of masses, cards, food, and messages of sympathy were gratefully appreciated. Nellie Looby, Alice Fahey, Kathryn Powers, James Dwyer.” [50]

Alice Fahey died at the age of 74 on July 7, 1965. Her ex-husband had died several years earlier. The obituary listed the family members who survived her: sisters Nellie Looby and Kate Powers, nieces Margaret Looby and Betty Biggs, and nephews Francis Dwyer (Richmond, IN) Robert Dwyer, William Dwyer of Portsmouth, NH, and William Powers of Syracuse. [51] Margaret Looby was the executor of her estate and, on August 25, 1965, a notice was published by Margaret about the probate of the will. The notice was sent to various persons including Bill -- William C. Dwyer -- whose address was then 76 Sunset Road, Portsmouth, NH.

Katherine died on July 4, 1967 in St. Joseph's Hospital, Syracuse, NY. She is buried in St. Patrick’s Cemetery in Chateaugay, where her name is spelled “Katheryne Dwyer Powers.”

The oldest of the children of David D. Dwyer, Nellie Looby, died at the age of 86 on January 24, 1970. And with that, the generation of Dwyers who had ushered in the 20th century was gone.

Additional photographs are available of:

     - David and Helen Dwyer's family

     - Alice and family

     - Nellie and family

     - Jack and family

     - Katherine and family

Early photos of the Dwyer family farm in Chateaugay, taken (we believe) by Prim Cronin, are here.

Additional information is available in Chateaugay Days by Margaret Looby.

Next chapter: The Cronin Family.


[1] Except as otherwise noted, information in this chapter is based on Chateaugay Days by Margaret Looby.

[2] Baptized October 18th; godparents were Jacob Sheehan and Margaret Ryan.

[3] Baptized March 29th; godparents were Jeremie Sheehan and Joanna Ryan.

[4] Baptized March 12th; godparents were Jacob Dwyer and Julia Cantwell (David’s brother and sister-in-law).

[5] Baptized July 13th; godparents were Michael Spellman and “Anna” (probably Mary) Sheehan.

[6] Baptized October 21st; godparents were Patrick and Katherine Ryan.

[7] Chateaugay Record (CR), Oct. 24, 1924.

[8] CR, Feb. 11, 1960.

[9] In 1903, David sold 100 acres in Ellenburgh for $2200. Plattsburgh Sentinel, May 8, 1903. It is not clear how he came to possess this property; perhaps it was his wife’s.

[10] History of Franklin County, NY, p. 462.

[11] Chateaugay Journal, 1897, date unknown; The Sun, Ft. Covington, NY, March 29, 1900; Chateaugay Journal, May 30, 1901.

[12] CR, March 9, 1961.

[13] Franklin Gazette, March 9, 1894; CR March 9, 1894.

[14] Chateaugay Journal, Sept. 3, 1896.

[15] CR, Aug. 18, 1939.

[16] CR, Aug. 26, 1934.

[17] CR, Sept. 13, 1901.

[18] CR, May 2, 1902. H.W. Pratt, History of Fort Dodge and Webster County, Iowa, Pioneer Publishing Co., Chicago (1913) puts the date at 1906.

[19] CR, Aug. 18, 1905.

[20] CR, Aug. 17, 1906.

[21] CR, Feb. 15, 1952.

[22] CR, Sept. 6, 1907.

[23] CR June 11, 1909.

[24] CR, Dec. 17, 1909.

[25] CR, Jan. 28, 1910.

[26] CR, Feb. 25, 1910.

[27] St. Patrick’s Cemetery records, Chateaugay, NY, which list his age as 56; gravestone, St. Patrick’s Cemetery (section 9, near Cemetery Road, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~frgen/franklin/chateaugay/st_patricks/st_patricks_flossy_9_alpha.htm) (visited March 31, 2013).

[28] The Malone Farmer, April 6, 1910.

[29] CR, April 22, 1910.

[30] CR, May 6, 1910.

[31] See e.g., CR, June 24, 1910; Sept. 23, 1910.

[32] CR, July 8, 1910; July 11, 1913.

[33] CR, Aug. 13, 1915.

[34] CR, Sept. 1, 1960.

[35] CR, June 23, 1916.

[36] CR, November 1, 1918.

[37] CR, Oct. 23, 1963.

[38] CR, Oct. 25, 1918.

[39] CR, Oct. 22, 1920.

[40] CR 1958, no date available.

[41] CR, April 20, 1961.

[42] CR, April 3, 1925; CR, May 8, 1963; U.S. Census; St. Patrick’s Parish records, Chateaugay, NY.

[43] CR Nov. 19, 1926.

[44] Gravestone, St. Patrick’s Cemetery, Chateaugay, NY; U.S. Census, 1940; CR, July 31, 1953.

[45] CR, August 11, 1947.

[46] CR, Sept. 15, 1950.

[47] CR June 12, 1953.

[48] CR, July 31, 1953.

[49] Plattsburgh City Directory, 1954.

[50] CR, May 8, 1963.

[51] CR, July 14, 1965.

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In